Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Knee Leg and ankle bruising and swelling

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

i fell few days ago on my knee. It bruised the side of my knne and front part of my leg very bad.The area to the side of the knee is quite swollen. The bruising has now traveled down my whole leg and around my ankle/foot and is quite swollen and painful Im worried as what this could be. My leg is also painful not only in the area where I fell but around the back of my knee where i noticed a large lump a couple days ago. My ankle is very swollen as well.  The arch of my foot also hurts. Help, should I seek medical attention or is this common after a fall.
The bruising looks quite bad.

Hi and thanks for using the forum.

You definitely should seek medical help.  You could have done damage to your knee when you fell which may need medical attention.  Also, with the swelling, I would be concerned that you developed a blood clot which needs immediate medical attention.  Don't wait, get you leg checked out.  IF you don't have a doctor or you cannot get an appointment, head to the ER or an urgent care.  Good luck.  

Bridget