Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Late period and tender bump on vagina

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Late period and tender bump on vagina

I normally get my period on the 1st of every month and as of now my period is 11 days late.  Also since 2/9/11 I noticed a tender hard bump under the skin on the right inside lip of my vagina about the size of a pea. It seemed to show up rather suddenly as I didn't realize or notice it during the whole day. It is pretty uncomfortable and tender and pretty swollen on that side. So far all I have tried is hot compresses but no difference yet. What could this be? Should I be worried? I am NOT sexually active and haven't been for nearly 5 years, so being pregnant or having a STD is not possible. Any advice would be great. Thank you!
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is not uncommon to have an abnormal period every now and then.  Since you are not sexually active and pregnancy is not a concern, I suggest you wait and see what happens next month.  As far as the bump is concerned, you can continue to try and use warm soaks.  It sounds like it could be a cyst.  If it becomes very sore or painful then you should see your OB/GYN as they can become infected and may require an antibiotic or may need to be drained.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Bridget