Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Need help asap! chickenpox on the eye

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Need help asap! chickenpox on the eye

Hi my 12yr old daughter has the chickenpox. The blisters line the edges of her eyelids causing extreme discomfort. Both eyes are red and they are full of a white substance.

I called my Dr. and was told it would go over and they didn't have any advice.

I can't believe there is nothing we can do. I know a tea bag helps with pink eye. Isn't there something like that we can do? I am afraid of making the pox worse so I could really use some advice. I have been reading for hours and can't find a thing.

Thank you in advance!
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Well, unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do except try to help keep your daughter comfortable (poor thing).  You could try ice packs which can help reduce the swelling and the itching, antihistamines (such as benadryl), and oatmeal baths.  Also, it is a good idea to trim her fingernails so that if she is scratching she won't introduce bacteria into the sores and cause infection.  Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

Bridget
Thank you so much for your advice. We tried the ice packs and they really helped.