Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Period

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Period

Why
Have
I
Bled
3
Times
This
Month
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is not uncommon to have an "off" period from time to time.  If this is the first time this has happened to you, then you can wait and see what happens.  If this persists, then you should see your ob/gyn and find out what is going on.  changes in hormone levels can cause breakthrough bleeding and spotting, so sometimes going on birth control pills can help regulate your cycle.  However, you would need to see your doctor first for an exam before starting birth control pills.  good luck.

Bridget
Thank you but why would I go on the pill? I'm 12?
You didn't say in your post how old you were, did you just start getting your period?  IF yes, then it can take a while for your period to become regular.  You may get it one month and not get it for another two or three months. You are right that you are young for birth control pills and your period is probably irregular because you just started getting it.  Sometimes, when women have irregular periods, taking birth control pills can help regulate it, however you should wait and give your period a chance to become regular on its own.  Good luck.

Bridget