Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Persistent hemorrhoids

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Persistent hemorrhoids

Hi there,

I have had hemorrhoids for the past 2 weeks now - I believe internal and external.  I can see the external hemorrhoids clearly which get worse after a bowel movement and I also have a small amount of blood on the paper when I wipe - internal?

I have had hemorrhoids once before which only lasted a week and followed the treatment which I was given then - increase fiber intake and apply a topical steroid cream, however this time I have had no improvement.  I find passing a bowel movement quite difficult, still involving some straining, even though it is quite soft from the fibre intake.  

I was just wondering if hemorrhoids persisting after 2 weeks is unusual and cause for concern?  Do you have any advice on treatment which i could follow? What are the treatment options for persistent hemorrhoids such as these, I do not think they are a terrible case - they do not bother me apart from when I am passing a bowel movement.

Many thanks
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Since you are not getting results with the treatment you are trying, I would recommed that you see your doctor.  There are minimally invasive treatments for persistent hemorrhoids (such as injecting medication into the hemorrhoid to shrink it).  Also, it is always good to make sure that nothing else is going on to cause the hemorrhoids.  In the meantime, continue with the high fiber diet and the cream.  Keep the area as clean as possible (sometimes it is a good idea to use wet wipes as opposed to dry toilet paper to clean after bowel movements).  Hope this info helps.  Good luck.

Bridget
hi, i had this problem when i was pregnant, my doctor told me to drink plenty water, eat high fibre diet, dont walk much, and gave me some cream and they were gone within 4-5 days, i was so glad because they are horribly uncomfy things to have.