Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Plan B?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Plan B?

Hello, on Nov 16th, I had a start of my period. A little spotting and so I had intercourse unprotected. The man did the pull out method and ejaculated on a towel. I'm afraid some precum was in my vagina. The next day at 9am I took plan B and 9 pm(12 hours)  after I took the other last plan b. I had no side effects. But I wasn't bleeding at all. The next few days no side effects but I was on and off with the spotting. The blood was pinkish red.. On Friday nov 23 I had a lil more bleeding and severe cramps. The next day I got my period , when I urinate my urine was blood and when I wiped I saw red blood with blood clots also some blood clots were in the toilet. I have severe cramps. My question is I am worried I may be pregnant.  I took a pregnancy test yesterday night and it came out negative. Can you please tell me if it was the plan b side effects and it stopped my period or is it actually my period! It feels and looks like a period. Also, could I get pregnant? Please answer honestly. Thanks
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Plan B is very effective in preventing pregnancies when taken appropriately, within 72 hours of unprotected sex.  You were well within this time frame.  Most likely, what you are experiencing is a side effect from the Plan B- it can mess with your cycle and normal flow after you take it.  This should subside and your next period should be fairly normal.  I think it is unlikely that you would have become pregnant in this scenario.    IF you continue to see blood in your urine, you could have a urinary tract infection.  This would need to get checked out because you may need an antibiotic.   I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bridget