Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Raised skin welts and scratch marks

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Raised skin welts and scratch marks

I've been getting these huge welts in my arms, back, thighs and feet for 3 months. They start to
itch and when I scratch I get these red inflamed scratch marks and more welts around the area. Any  clue on what this could be?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

What you have described sounds like hives.  It sounds like you are probably sensitive to something such as your soap, lotion, laundry detergent, shampoo.  If you have started using anything new within the last 3 months (such as new detergent or body wash) you might want to stop using it and see if these hives go away.  Also, if they are very bothersome, you could take Benadryl (follow the instructions on the box) to help alleviate the itching.  Also there are topical medications such as calmine lotion that can help alleviate the itching.  Finally, if you have no idea what might be causing these (it can be very difficult to figure out sometimes)  you could see an allergist.  They can do skin tests to let you know what you are allergic to.  Hope this helps.

Take care,

Bridget