Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Slipped and fell 2 months ago. Could this be a blood clot?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

I'm sorry if this isn't the right topic, but I'm not sure where else this would fall under.

Almost 2 months ago (January 8th to be exact) I slipped on some ice on the sidewalk and fell REALLY hard. I broke the fall on my outer right thigh and somewhat on my right hand. I developed swelling and a nasty bruise which lasted for a few weeks. Over time, the bruise went away, but I still can feel a lumpy mass deep under the skin and it's still tender if I push or rub it hard enough. I also notice that at night if I'm cold, my skin will be cold, except that one area where I had the bruise is slightly warmer than the rest of my leg. I'm not sure if this is important but I feel it's worth mentioning that I have a small vericose vein (which has been there for years) on the area where I fell. If I look hard enough, the area where I had the big bruise is still slightly discolored. Looks like a very muted bruise.

So is it possible I'm still healing and have some kind of scar tissue or does this sound like a possible clot? I feel like in 2 months time this "bruise" should have really healed up by now!

For reference I'm a 26 year old female and am a fairly active person.
HI and thanks for using the forum.

This kind of deep bruise that you described tends to take a long time to heal.  It is possible that you have some scar tissue or that you have some trapped old blood in the area that has not reabsorbed yet.  If you are really concerned, you could see your primary care doctor.  Most likely this will improve over time.  Good luck.