Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Slurred speech, hallucinating, high fever, flu like symptoms...What is ...

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Slurred speech, hallucinating, high fever, flu like symptoms...What is this?

My 11 year old sister just recently participated in 6 grade camp, which meant that she would be suddenly changing climates, and would be spending numerous hours in freezing temps for a full week. Anyways when she got back, she was sick, but we just suspected that it was the flu. Those symptoms included fever, vomiting, migraine headaches, the chills, and fatigue...She didn't complain about body aches, only that her stomach was hurting. After 3 days, her symptoms started getting worse. She started getting fevers of 105 degrees, that only temporary we could bring down with tylenol, then it would shoot right back up again. Her speech became very slow and slurred, and while she slept, she would suddenly jump out of bed, and start running through the house screaming for us to help her find the people as if she was panicking...
Now we did take her to the hospital, and they started her on a iv and treated her with antibiotics, and now shes even more delusional. Any idea of what this may be?
Thanks!      
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The symptoms you have described are very serious.  Your sister needs a full work up and meningitis should be ruled out if it has not been already.  I cannot speculate as to what is wrong with your sister, but I suggest that if you have not seen an improvement in the time since you wrote this post, that you ask (or insist) on a infectious disease (pediatric if possible) doctor.  I don't know where your sister went to camp, but if she was hiking in the mountains or in an area at a higher altitude than where you live, altitude sickness is a possibility.  Be sure to let her doctors know if this was the case.   Good luck and let me know how she is doing.

Bridget