Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Slurred speech, hallucinating, high fever, flu like symptoms...What is ...
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Slurred speech, hallucinating, high fever, flu like symptoms...What is this?

Hi,
My 11 year old sister just recently participated in 6 grade camp, which meant that she would be suddenly changing climates, and would be spending numerous hours in freezing temps for a full week. Anyways when she got back, she was sick, but we just suspected that it was the flu. Those symptoms included fever, vomiting, migraine headaches, the chills, and fatigue...She didn't complain about body aches, only that her stomach was hurting. After 3 days, her symptoms started getting worse. She started getting fevers of 105 degrees, that only temporary we could bring down with tylenol, then it would shoot right back up again. Her speech became very slow and slurred, and while she slept, she would suddenly jump out of bed, and start running through the house screaming for us to help her find the people as if she was panicking...
Now we did take her to the hospital, and they started her on a iv and treated her with antibiotics, and now shes even more delusional. Any idea of what this may be?
Thanks!