Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Throat after surgery

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Throat after surgery

I had gallbladder and bike duct surgery last week. Now my throat is sore (no cough) and has some red patches and white spots all over it. I do not have my tonsils and I tested negative for strep. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, especially after having surgery.  Since you tested negative for strep, which would have been my first guess, it sounds like you saw your doctor.  Did he or she mention that it could possibly be thrush?  This can happen sometimes when you take antibiotics (which they probably gave you when you had your surgery).  There are oral rinse and spits that can be prescribed for you if it is thrush, so you should call your doctor and see him/her again since this is still bothering you.  You also could have just developed a cold after your surgery, but I think that you should have the thrush ruled out.  Good luck.

Bridget