Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Torso cramp

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Torso cramp

I have been getting cramps in my upper abdomin (abdomen) (left side of my sternum, just below my chest). Usually get them once per week. They feel like an upper torso `charley horse``. They hit when I am tying my shoe or bending to pick something off the floor. The only thing that helps is to stretch my sholuders back and arch my back.....
What could this be?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.   What you are describing sounds like exactly what you said a cramp.  It is probably occurring across your diaphragm- the muscle that seperates the chest and the abdominal cavity.  When you are bending over, whether to tie your shoe or to pick something up, you put pressure on the diaphragm and it can cause a cramping feeling.   The best thing to do is what you are doing, stand up and stretch to help relieve the cramping.  Bending at the knees as opposed to bending at the waist should help as well.  Finally, if you are overweight, this can put added pressure on the diaphragm so losing some weight and doing abdominal exercises to strengthen those muscles might also be effective.

Good luck,

Bridget

Bridget