Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Varicella immunization confusion

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Varicella immunization confusion
My daughter had both varicella shots before starting grade school. There was a clerical error and her pediatrician at the time didn't mark down the second dose on the immunization card. She is now 12 years old and has a new pediatrician who is badgering me about this, telling me she needs a second dose. She had it already, ( she wouldn't be allowed in school if she didn't ) this is a clerical error, but no one will listen to me.

IS it safe for this doctor to give this a third time?? ( she won't get off my case, insisting my daughter get this, saying she should have had it at 4 years old...it's a confusing mess lol )
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

You should ask your doctor to order a varicella titer for your daughter.  The varicella titer is a blood test that will tell whether or not your daughter is immune to varicella.  If the titer says she is immune, then she does  not need the second shot.  If the titer says she is not immune then you can give her the vaccination.  I hope this helps.

Bridget
Thank you so much!