Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
What can this be?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

What can this be?

Every night I wake up like 3 time, be cause the bone along my thumb is numb and is in pain. It kills me. sometimes it gets so bad, I cannot move my whole right arm? What should I do?
I am 16 years old and I don't know what to do?
Please help me, my mom just thinks its arthrites, and i know it's not.
Tags: what, please help, what is causeing this, Pain
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Since the pain is bad enough to wake you up, this is definitely something that you should ask your doctor about.  Arthritis at your age is not common, however it is possible.  IF it is arthritis, it would be important to determine what the cause is.  Other possible causes include a pinched nerve in your neck/back, a problem with a tendon or a ligament, or you may be sleeping on your arm funny.  IF this pain persists, then you should ask your mom to take you to have it checked out by your regular doctor.  Good luck.

Bridget
HI BRIDGETT, I POSTED A DR ? LAST NIGHT, BUT... ANYWAYS.  4YRS AGO I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GALLSTONES, BEEN TO ER SEVERAL TIMES B/C OF BEARABLE PAIN HOOK ME UP FLUIDS THRU IV, TAKES LOTS OF BLOOD AND THEN SHOOT ME UP WITH PAIN MEDS AND SEND ME HOME.  I HAVE NO INS SO THEY WONT DO SURGERY, THE KEEP TELLING ME ITS NOT EMERGENCY ENOUGH.  HOWEVER, FOR THE LAST 2 WEEKS I HAVE NOW BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME LOWER RIGHT BACK PAIN ONLY WHEN I SIT FOR A FEW MINS OR LONG TIME, WHEN I GO TO STAND UP ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET STOOD UP STRAIGHT. WHEN I GO TO STAND UP STILL BENT OVER SOME THE PAIN IS SO EXCRUCIATING I WONT TO SCREAM, BUT WHEN IM FINALLY UP AND START MOVING IM OK.. DOESNT BOTHER ME, JUST A TAD, BUT NOTHING TO MAKE ME WANT TO SIT BACK DOWN.. STANDING IM OK BUT I DREAD SITTING DOWN OR LAYING DOWN B/C I HATE FACING THE GETTING UP PART.  I DIDNT KNOW IF THESE 2 HAD ANYTHING IN COMMON.. DIDNT KNOW IF A STONE MAY BE BLOCKING SOMETHING TO CAUSE THAT PAIN OR IF ITS PROBABLY SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFF.. CAN U HELP.
SORRY I WROTE THIS IN THE WRONG PLACE..