Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
What is causing the tightness in my calf?
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What is causing the tightness in my calf?

I was playing basketball for a while yesterday and my calf started cramping out of nowhere. Now today it still feels so tight to the point I can barley walk. I look crippled. I tried stretching it out and no luck. What is causing the tightness?
796253_tn?1344994932
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The tightness is probably residual soreness from the cramping during your game.  You can try some ice and some easy stretching exercises.  Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to make sure that you are hydrated (one of the major causes for muscle cramping is dehydration).  Sometimes, when you sweat a lot, you can lose some electrolytes.  If your potassium or magnesium is a little low, this can cause muscle cramping as well.  Try eating a banana for some extra potassium.  The soreness should go away over the next few days.  If you need to, you can use some ibuprofen for pain relief as well.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
This Forum's Experts
5289563_tn?1366052034
Cathleen Zoretic, RNBlankBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979