What is causing the tightness in my calf?
I was playing basketball for a while yesterday and my calf started cramping out of nowhere. Now today it still feels so tight to the point I can barley walk. I look crippled. I tried stretching it out and no luck. What is causing the tightness?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The tightness is probably residual soreness from the cramping during your game.  You can try some ice and some easy stretching exercises.  Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to make sure that you are hydrated (one of the major causes for muscle cramping is dehydration).  Sometimes, when you sweat a lot, you can lose some electrolytes.  If your potassium or magnesium is a little low, this can cause muscle cramping as well.  Try eating a banana for some extra potassium.  The soreness should go away over the next few days.  If you need to, you can use some ibuprofen for pain relief as well.  Good luck.

Bridget
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.