Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Why does food get stuck in my throat so much?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

I'm 15 and for about three years now I've had this problem. Sometimes when I swallow, the food will get stuck in my throat. Before, if I just kept swallowing, it would eventually go down. I have tried drinking water when something gets stuck, but the water just comes right back up without helping at all. So, more recently, I've just had to stand in front of the sink or toilet making myself cough or throw up so that it will come back up...it doesn't hurt, but it is extremely uncomfortable. My throat also makes these really disgusting noises(I'm not sure how to describe them) when something is stuck and trying to come up.
At first I thought it might just be that I wasn't chewing my food enough, but even when I'm very careful with chewing it still happens sometimes. It's usually with bread-like things...like pancakes, bread, waffles, etc. I always drink water while eating, and since I started doing that it hasn't been happening as much, but it is still happening and it is very scary and annoying. I would say it happens about once a day, sometimes more.
Is this normal? Or should I see a doctor about it?
Thanks for using the forum.

I would recommend seeing your doctor. There are many different things that can cause what you describe in your question including; acid reflux, throat infection, stricture of the esophagus...In order to properly diagnose what is causing you to choke on your food, you need to be examined by a doctor.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Cathy