Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Z-Pak Didn't Work

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Z-Pak Didn't Work

I began a round of the z-pack early this week for a bacterial infection (I have been sick for a month now; the dr. thinks it started as a cold and then I picked up a secondary infection), and just finished it up yesterday. I had started to feel better on the 3rd day of taking the antibiotics, but then yesterday on the day of the last dosage and even more so today (the 1st day off) I feel terrible again, with a lot of mucous, coughing, sinus issues. Can I go to the dr. and be prescribed another antibiotic since the z-pack obviously didn't work? Or will I have to wait until the end of the half-life, which as I understand it, is 5 additional days following the last dose?
Thanks for using the forum.

If you have finished the Z-pack and still are experiencing symptoms, I would recommend going back to your doctor for a new antibiotic. You should experience relief of your symptoms before the antibiotic is finished. You should not have to wait until the half life.

I hope you feel better soon!

Cathy