Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
anxiety

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

anxiety
So I have severe anixety and was perscribed alaprozam or xanax for it. Is it safe to take while pregnant?  I'm currently at 5 weeks. Someone help!
Thanks for using the forum.

Xanax is not recommended during pregnancy. There has been some research linking benzodiazepines such as Xanax with fetal defects. I would recommend speaking with your doctor about alternative medications to treat your anxiety.  Both the doctor prescribing the Xanax and your OBGYN can be helpful in finding an appropriate alternative treatment.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope this helps

Cathy
Last week I discovered something much better than Xanax. It is better than Xanax because it does not involve medication and has no side effects.

I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia because of high nighttime cortisol. My daughter-in-law tried an acupressure technique on me to eliminate the anxiety and taught my husband how to do it. It involves holding the toes of each foot in a particular order using particular fingers. It is a simple procedure that takes 15 minutes and anyone can do it after being shown a single time. It is called the Brazilian Toe Technique.

After my daughter-in-law finished I was relaxed and peaceful with no sign of of anxiety. Soon afterwards I fell asleep. My husband now does the Toe Technique for me every night. And it works just as well every time. There is no way this can harm your baby. I should think he would be very happy having such a calm mother.

Today I found the Brazilian Toe on the internet on YouTube. Look it up. By the way, I see they are selling a book, etc. It seems hardly necessary. It take only five minutes to learn how to do it. See if you can find the instructions on the internet.

I forgot to mention that this technique actually works better than Xanax - and I had considered Xanax a miracle.