Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
baby number two

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

baby number two
I'm about five and a half weeks pregnant and I feel like I'm already getting a small round baby bump. Is this possible or am just gaining too much weight to fast?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Most women report that they "show" sooner with a second baby. After your first baby is born, the uterus does not shrink all the way down to its pre-baby size. Then, with the second pregnancy, it will stretch quicker and you will notice that "bump" sooner. Also, it is not uncommon to gain some weight early on in a second pregnancy. Your body already knows how to be pregnant and responds to it sooner. This does not mean that you will gain more weigh with this pregnancy. As long as you maintain a healthy diet, the weight gain will probably even out as the pregnancy progresses.

Congratulations!
Cathy