Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
biting my tobgue

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

biting my tobgue

I have diagnosed as having Parkinsons Disease for 2 + yrs. Recently I have been bitting the inside of my mouth when I talk, eat, or just for no reason. I even do it in my sleep. Which I wake up from since I bite so hard. Is there any explanantion to this?
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question- I was trying to do a little research so that I could answer it appropriately.  Your tongue/cheek biting could be related to your Parkinsons.  Of course, once you bite your tongue/cheek, you are more likely to bite it again since it generally swells a bit when you first bite it.  I think you need to discuss this symptom with your neurologist since it is not a one time event.  I believe they even make mouth guards that may help you at night.  Good luck.

Bridget