Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
bleeding after miscarriage

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

bleeding after miscarriage

Took cytotec for a missed miscarriage (baby died at 8-8.5 weeks, not detected until 16 weeks.) Bled for about two weeks, then had a week of light spotting and dark brown discharge (old blood?) I went in for an exam exactly three weeks after taking cytotec, the midwife said the uterus was back to normal size and the opening (os?) was closed, so  miscarriage was over. they didn't do a urine test for hcg. the day after the exam, had heavy bleeding with several large clots that only lasted for about 30 minutes. nothing for two days after that, then stood up after waking and had a gush of blood that soaked underwear, passed something that looked flat (but not sure if it was tissue or a clot), then some light bleeding for rest of day, still going on. could my period have started so soon after a miscarriage? thanks for your help, and sorry if tmi.
HI and thanks for using the forum.

I am sorry about your loss.  Miscarriages are tough both emotionally and physically and I hope that you have some support from family and friends.  

Typically, after a miscarriage, bleeding and spotting can be expected for up to two weeks.  Since your exam from the midwife showed that the cervical os was closed and that the uterus was of normal size, then most likely the miscarriage was complete.  

You can expect to get a period within 3-6 weeks of your miscarriage.  So what you are experiencing could be your period.  However, I think that you should let your ob/gyn and/or midwife know about this bleeding just to be sure.  They may want to see you again to make sure that everything is OK.  I hope this info helps.  Good luck.  

Bridget