Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
cant sleep took 20mg ambien

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

cant sleep took 20mg ambien
what should i do when some one takes 20mg of ambien and cant sleep
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The usual dosage for Ambien is 10mg right before you go to bed on an empty stomach.  So, if you took 20mg and still can't sleep, then I recommend you try some relaxation techniques, meditation, deep breathing, etc.  Definitely don't take more of the drug and don't combine it with other medications or alcohol.  If you continue to have nights where you have trouble sleeping despite taking Ambien, then you should talk to your doctor.  He or she may need to make an adjustment to the medication prescribed to you.  Hope this helps.

Bridget
When I was an insomniac nothing worked, and that included Ambien. When I developed a craving for clams I found I occasionally slept better. And there was the answer - iodine. Try taking one drop of 5 per cent Lugol's solution three times a week (say, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). It worked like a charm for me and I hope it will for you. (If it works, but not well enough, up to dosage, temporarily, to 5 drops, and then cut back when you are sleeping well.)