Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
colds and medication in pregnancy

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

colds and medication in pregnancy

I am 17 weeks pregnant with my first child and have developed a cold i wanted to know if this could be harmful to the baby and also if there is any medication i could take if there isn't what tips would you recommend to becoming better sooner. Thank you.
Thanks for using the forum.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am sorry you are not feeling well. Having a cold while pregnant is miserable.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend medications. I suggest you call your doctor's office. They should be able to provide you with a list of over the counter medications that are safe to take during pregnancy.

There are a few things that you can do to help make yourself more comfortable. The use of a humidifier can help with congestion. You can also try saline nasal spray or a neti pot to help with nasal congestion. As always, make sure you are getting enough rest and drinking plenty of water.

The cold will not harm the baby. However, if you develop a fever I would recommend speaking with your doctor. I hope you feel better soon!

Cathy