Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
c.o.p.d

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

c.o.p.d

I have fibromyalgia, an have been told today that i also have copd. I havent been given any information on how to cope with both illnesses. i have been extremely ill for the last 4 wks, and have been in hospital twice, within those wks. I dont know what to expect with the copd, if it will get worse, or what to expect. My husband is also ill, he suffers from cauda aqina, and is disabled. we are both getting finincial help, D.L.A, an carers allowance. So its not advice financially that i need. i just need to know what happens now? Do i need more medication, what am i to expect now, and in the future. Also, because i suffer from fibromyalgia, an a number of other illnesses, eg diverticulitis, hernia. Will i be able to cope? Can you please help me. Ann
Hi and thanks for using the forum.  

I am sorry that you are having some trouble with your health.  I am also sorry that you did not get any info on living with COPD and fibromyalgia.  Since you are obviously computer savy, my suggestion to you would be to search for "support for COPD patients" and "support for fibromyalgia patients".  As you probably already know, the goal for both diagnosis is management, there is no "cure" for either condition.  However, with proper management both your COPD and fibromyalgia can remain under control.  COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a lung disease that affects how well you breathe.  This disease gets worse over time and requires long term management.  One of the main causes for COPD is smoking, so if you smoke, stop.   MedHelp in particular has both support communities and ask the expert forums that deal directly with COPD and fibromyalgia.  These can be a great source of information and also a good place to ask questions if you have them.  Also, you need to discuss your concerns with your doctor.  He or she can get you started with some information and also can address the need for any medications.   I hope this gets you started in the right direction.  Good luck.

Bridget