Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
coughing for 9 weeks

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

coughing for 9 weeks

Hi!
I have this nagging cough for 9 weeks now. I have white/clear mucous and have used augmentin and azithromax one course after another (augmentin first and then azithromax) given by my doctor but the cough is not gone. My chest x ray is normal but the doctor could not do a pft because of my continuous cough at that time.  My blood work for pneumonia diabetes and cholesterol are all good.  sinus CT scan is normal too. Is this viral is it okay to take several months for cough to go away. I have no wheezing or asthma history.  could this be lung infection? Please help.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

You could have the lingering cough for a while.  Since the chest x-ray is normal, then you probably don't have pneumonia.  It is more than likely viral in nature (especially since you have done both courses of antibiotics).  My only other suggestion would be to ask your doctor about a course of steroids.  They could help open up your airway a bit and calm down your cough if indicated.  Also, a nebulizer treatment could help.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Bridget
Thank you so much for your help!

You mentioned that I should take a course of steroidsfor my cough, is Advair a steroid? Will it help if I use it? Will Nasinex help?
HI,

Advair is used for patients with asthma or COPD which it does not sound like you have.  You also need a prescription for it, so I don't think it is a good idea to take it.  Nasonex is prescribed for nasal symptoms related to seasonal allergies.  I don't think that this will help you either.  I think you should ask your doctor about the persistent cough (perhaps it is allergy related) and see what he/she suggests.  Good luck.

Bridget
Here is a simple way to find out if your coughing is due to an allergy. Get some liquid  Benadryl. When you start to cough take a sip of it. Wait and take another sip. If the cough stops you have an allergy of some sort. If if eat a food that I am allergic to, I cough. The Benadryl stops it cold. But because I have ingested the allergen I then take a full dose of anti-histamine.