Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
didnt know

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

didnt know

I drunk alcohol (heavily) in March. Went to the doctor in April and was told I was 3 weeks pregnant. My due date is Nov.21st. I haven't drunk since but now I worry about my baby having a down syndrome. How worry should I be?
Thanks for using the forum.

While drinking during pregnancy is never recommended, it is unlikely that you harmed your baby. Most women don't even know that they are pregnant until after they are 6 or more weeks along. The important thing is that you refrain from drinking for the rest of your pregnancy. You also need to make sure that you are taking your prenatal vitamins, most importantly, the folic acid. Folic acid is important for the brain development in your baby.

I recommend speaking with your doctor about your concerns. It is always best to make your doctor aware of any concerns. There are several standard prenatal tests that will be done during the term of your pregnancy, hopefully they will provide you with reassurance.

Good luck with your pregnancy. I hope this helps.

Cathy
Just pray you have a safe healthy pregnancy,