Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
ear pressure and pain

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

ear pressure and pain
Today on the way home, my ear started feeling like pressure was building up.  By this evening, I felt extreme pain in my ear and still feel pressure.  It is bleeding.  What should I do?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Bleeding from your ear is not good.  It is possible that your ear drum ruptured.  You should see a health care professional about this.  If your eardrum did rupture (this can happen with a bad ear infection or sinus pressure)  you will probably need an antibiotic.  It will usually heal on it's own, but the antibiotic is needed to prevent the spread of infection.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

You can take Tylenol or Ibuprofen (as long as you are not allergic to either) for the pain.

Bridget