Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
enlarged lymph nodes.

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

enlarged lymph nodes.

At the beginning of December I found swollen lymph nodes on each side of my underarm. I went to an internal medicine specialist who but me on ten days of Bactrim which did not change the size or shape of the lymph nodes. I followed this up an ultrasound which showed 2 lymph nodes in the left underarm the largest being 2 cm and 1 in the right underarm the largest also being 2 cm. The radiologist considered this a normal study. I also have a normal CBC.

Following this I found two pea sized epitrochlear nodes that my doctors feel are insignificant.

Should I be pushing for my tests? My concern is that I have palpable lymph nodes in 4 contiguous areas that have not responded to antibiotics. What is my level of suspicion for cancer or other immunological diseases?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

The most common cause for swollen lymph nodes is infection (viral or bacterial).  Other causes include an immune disorder or cancer.  Treatment for swollen lymph nodes involves treating the underlying cause.  

I can't say what is causing your swollen lymph nodes.  You could get a second opinion if you are concerned that your doctor is not addressing them appropriately- there is certainly no harm in doing this especially if the lymph nodes remain swollen at this time.  I hope this info helps.  Good luck.

Bridget