Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
erratic blood pressure

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

erratic blood pressure

I went to my pcp because I could feel my blood pressure was high and it registered as 194/95. He ordered lab work, then later that day sent me to the ER because my potassium level was 2.7. While I was there, my blood pressure dropped to 50/33.  I take 100 mg of Topamax a day for complicated migraines and 10 mg Maxalt Mlt prn for same, but I had taken no medication at all that day, and hadn't taken any Maxalt for several days prior. What would cause my blood pressure to fluctuate so dramatically?  I know my body well, and this is not the first time this has happened. The ER physician said this was a problem for my pcp, but my pcp is clueless and I need answers.  Unfortunately, I have crappy insurance and it seems crappy insurance = crappy doctors, but I know my body and something is not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.  

I can't really say why your blood pressure went so low.  You might want to see a cardiologist to help sort this out.  Do you know why your potassium was so low?  Do you take any diuretics?  50/33 is pretty low, and 194/95 is high so I think you should definitely follow up with this.  Another possibility that I can think of is a kidney issue.  You might want to ask your PCP if you had kidney function tests done in the ER and if the results were normal.  If the test were not done, it may be something you would want to request.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bridget
Bridget