Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
erratic blood pressure
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

erratic blood pressure

I went to my pcp because I could feel my blood pressure was high and it registered as 194/95. He ordered lab work, then later that day sent me to the ER because my potassium level was 2.7. While I was there, my blood pressure dropped to 50/33.  I take 100 mg of Topamax a day for complicated migraines and 10 mg Maxalt Mlt prn for same, but I had taken no medication at all that day, and hadn't taken any Maxalt for several days prior. What would cause my blood pressure to fluctuate so dramatically?  I know my body well, and this is not the first time this has happened. The ER physician said this was a problem for my pcp, but my pcp is clueless and I need answers.  Unfortunately, I have crappy insurance and it seems crappy insurance = crappy doctors, but I know my body and something is not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.