Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
few questions

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

few questions

I am about 6 weeks. I haven't been to the doctors yet. I go on the first. Anyways, my first question is, is it possible that I am having twins? With my first I had a period for 5 months, and had absolutly NO symptoms. With this pregnancy, I have had heartburn everyday even before I knew. I also been going to the bathroom every hour, sleeping a lot, and feel sick to my stomach all the time.
My second question is, is it okay to go four wheeling while pregnant? I am on four wheelers all the time, and we are planning a trip over the fourth of July. At that time I will be almost 9 weeks I think.
Thank you!
Thanks for using the forum.

Congratulations on you pregnancy!

While it is possible that you could be carrying twins, the increased pregnancy symptoms that you describe are not unusual. Every pregnancy is different. During a second pregnancy, you body knows how to be pregnant. It recognizes the hormone changes and begins to prepare. It is not uncommon for women to feel and look pregnant earlier the second time around. Hormone levels cause many of the pregnancy symptoms you describe. Your period continuing 5 months into you last pregnancy could have been caused by your hormone levels not being quite high enough to suppress it.

I would not recommend the 4 wheeling while pregnant. Jarring and jostling are not good for the baby. Most amusement park rides (even the kiddie ones) advise pregnant women not to ride. 4 wheeling in its nature is unpredictable. Even if you are being careful you could hit a bump, or fall off.

I hope this helps.

Cathy