Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
hicups

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

hicups

hicups for three days straight and getting worse.  what do i do?
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Hiccups occur when the diaphragm, the dome shaped muscle at the bottom of your chest, becomes irritated.  This irritation causes the diaphragm to pull down in a jerky manner, forcing air into the lungs.  This sudden rush of air causes a sound in your throat known as a hiccup.  Hiccups can be caused by eating quickly or eating a large meal, drinking alcohol, a sudden intake of air (such as sneezing or laughing), or by an unknown cause.  Have you tried any of the "traditional" remedies for hiccups? (drinking ice water, sugar on the tongue, drinking from the far side of a glass, biting on a lemon, stretching your arms up high over your head, etc.)  If you have tried some of these with no success, there are medications that can be prescribed for you (such as thorazine).  You will need to be seen by your doctor for a prescription.  Hope this helps.

Bridget

There was an entry on hiccups with lots of replies, but I don't remember on which forum. I guess you could search for it. But the suggestion I remember is an odd one. It is to put pressure against the head in the hollows behind each ear lobe. One of the responders wrote back to say she tried it and it worked. Others had heard of it.