Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
i feel popping in between my chest bone

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

i feel popping in between my chest bone

hi i have been feeling a pop in between my chest bone it happens when i take a deep breath an sometimes when i move , i would say my posture is very poor i slouch and i used to sleep in all kinds of positions i have recently changed my sleeping posistion an now lie on my back straight at night an when active i try to keep my back always straight , i have called my doctor for a telephone consultation she said it is nothing to worry about an that it would burn itself out in a few days or weeks , i also suffer with ectopic beats and anxeity im trying to use deep breathing to cam me down altho last night i had a restless night as i kept waking up an think end up thinking about why i feel this in my chest can you help me pls the doctor said its not life threatning
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

I think that your doctor is right in that you should give it more time.  It does not sound "life threatening" and it is not causing you pain or discomfort.  It may be the result of you trying to improve your posture.  Continue to do what you are doing- it is a good idea to improve your posture.  Give yourself a few weeks and see what happens.  If the popping continues and you are concerned, make an appointment to see your regular doctor.  

As far as the ectopic beats go, everyone experiences "funny" beats every once in a while.  Anxiety can make these beats more frequent as well as heighten your awareness of them.  Try some relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing, etc. to manage your anxiety.  IF you feel that these beats are much more frequent despite your attempts to manage your anxiety, then you should let your doctor know about those as well.  Good luck.

Bridget
can i just say that i broke my coller bone many years ago could this be the cause of the popping sturnum after all this time an it was a clean brake along the bone , im reading up on a few things an ive got myself in a bit of a panic here :(
I cannot really say what is causing the popping.  Did you have another injury to the area?  From your description, it sounds like the popping just started and it seems like an injury from many years ago would not cause this new symptom.  If you are worried that you injured the area again, you could see your doctor and request an x-ray.  I don't think that this is an emergency, but if it is causing you concern, you should have it looked at when you can.

Bridget
no , no other injury i am according to the docotors a healthy 35 year old woman ,can i have this fro the rest of my life ? or will this popping go away ?