Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
itchy rash leg arm and fingers

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

itchy rash leg arm and fingers

Hello, I have a rash.
It started next to my knee. Small red dots that are very itchy. It now spread on the inside of my upper leg. Now I also have these red itchy dots on my arm and there some are a bit bigger (mostly on the inside of my elbow all the way up to my hand). Both my hands have itchy small swolen dots (not red) on the sides of my fingers.

I had a small patch of this rash a few weeks ago around my knee and it dissappeared by itself (leaving behind white spots where the red dots were).
It started about 5 days ago and as you have read is not improving but rather spreading.
(oh and just before the rash started the skin on my hands was peeling of like after a sunburn (which btw it could have been).

btw I'm a 25 year old male with no known health issues.

Any idea what it can be?
Thanks for using the forum.

A rash like you describe could have several different causes. To properly diagnose it, you should be examined by a doctor. Itcould be an allergic reaction. They can be caused by something as simple as a change in soap or laundry detergent. It could be a reaction to sunburn ( you mentioned you had just had one). Rashes can also have more systemic causes meaning that they can be caused by an illness.

Because the rash is spreading, I would recommend that you see a doctor. For immediate relief, you could try cleansing the area with a mild, unscented soap, rinse completely and pat dry. Then apply a hydrocortisone ointment.  However, if the rash does not resolve, you should be seen by a doctor to properly diagnose the cause and receive appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps.

Cathy