Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
nervous excitement reactions

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

nervous excitement reactions

This never really bothered me until I noticed my 1yr old son doing the same thing on a now regular basis... basically, I am wondering if I should be concerned because I get these overwhelming waves of nervous excitement where I tense up, usually with a freaky grin, and start rubbing my hands together... it only lasts a few seconds and never occurs in public... I have no idea why it gets triggered, because my current mood has no bearing on it... now I notice my son tenses up and holds his hands in the air and clenches his teeth... it freaks me out a little and I feel like its probably some slight ocd type thing, but basically just looking for a little insight...  let me know if you need more info to help me figure this out
Thanks for using the forum.

One year olds have a lot of energy (as I am sure you have noticed). They are in constant motion exploring the world around themselves. They often express their emotions in a manner that for an adult would be extreme (a dropped toy can lead to tears and a tantrum). Because they have so few words the only way they can express the emotions they are experiencing whether it is joy, excitement, anger, sadness...is physically.

You have noticed some of these same behaviors in yourself. You stated in your question that they never occur in public, so you are able to control them. They may be some form of stress relief for you.

If you continue to be concerned, I would recommend that you speak with your pediatrician at your son's next appointment.

I hope this helps.
Cathy