Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
random bleeding between periods

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

random bleeding between periods

I have been on loestrin 24 fe for over a year. I ended my true period September 13. September 20, i started lightly bleeding but it was dark and old. The next day it turned it a light brown/red. Saturday and now Sunday i have barely bled but again it is dark. Now, this all isnt enough blood to fill a tampon or pad. I have never had any spotting while on the birth control until now. My bf and I do have unprotected sex and he ejaculates inside me every time, whish is about once or twice a week. I have been stressed with school and everything else. I dont really know what to do. Could i be pregnant? Could there be something wrong with me? Or is this normal? 
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is not uncommon to have some breaththrough bleeding while on birth control.  Your spotting could be related to a number of things including stress, weight change, change in exercise routine, etc.  You should contact your ob/gyn and let them know what is going on.  IF you take your birth control every day, at the same time and have not missed any doses, it would be unlikely that you are pregnant.  However, if your next period is delayed or not "normal' you could take a test just to be sure.  Regardless, you should make you ob/gyn aware of any abnormal bleeding- it may need to be looked into.  Good luck.

Bridget