Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
red. butt crack

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

red. butt crack

For the past few months every time my boyfriend and I have sex I get this red line on my butt crack. It gets itchy and is painful. It is painful during sex as well. We do not have anal sex.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

What you have described could be a fungal rash and it might be irritated during sex.  You could try an anti-fungal cream to the area (you can get this over the counter).  Be sure to keep the area clean and dry (avoid using harsh soaps or scrubbing the area).  Clean the area daily with warm soapy (mild soap) water and pat dry.  Change your underwear daily (avoid thong underwear until the area heals) and be sure to use cotton underwear.  Apply the cream as directed on the label.  If the redness/itching/pain persist after doing this for a few days, you should consult your doctor.  Good luck,.

Bridget