Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
safe alcohol

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

safe alcohol

Is it safe to drink a glass of red wine during pregnancy?
Thanks for using the forum.

Pregnancy seems to be the one time in our lives that "everything in moderation" saying does not apply. The reason for this is that many of the things we take in we pass along to the baby. This is why there is such a hard line on drinking while pregnant. The alcohol level in the mom's blood will be the same as the alcohol level in the baby's blood.

Your body can work and break down the alcohol and get it out of your system. The baby's liver is still developing and is not ready to break down alcohol. Therefore, the alcohol will be around longer and can harm the baby's development.

There is no way to do a study on how much alcohol would be "OK" and not harm a developing baby. Everyone is different, and what might cause harm in one situation might not for someone else. This is why the medical community recommends avoiding all alcohol while pregnant.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Cathy
If I have sex two days in a row during my period and was to now be  possibly pregnant how long after should I wait to take a pregnancy test?