Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
swollen knee

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

swollen knee

My knee has been swollen for over a month now, I dont remember a specific injury all I know is I have pain when I go up and down the stairs, when I squat down or when I try to get off the floor. I have noticed loud popping and a grinding sound when I move it. It also feels like something is pulling when I walk which makes it unstable. I went to the er and they told me they werent sure what was going on with it. They told me to go to my regular doctor but I dont have one. He recently I have noticed my thigh and my calf has also become swollen. It is painful and tender to the touch. What should I do. Is there anything I can do for the pain execpt tylenol or ibueprofen which doesnt work
Hi and thanks for using the forum.  

There is definitely something going on with the knee.  It should not be swollen and sore for that long.  It can sometimes take the  slightest wrong move to cause and injury, so just because you don't remember doing something specific does not mean that it is not due to an injury.  You do need to see a doctor.  Usually when you are discharged from the ER you are told to follow up with your doctor.  If you don't have your own doctor, they usually provide a list of local physicians in the area.  If you did not get a list, you could call the ER and find out what doctors they usually refer patients to.  Also, if possible, you should see of you could get a referral for an orthopedist since this is more than likely where you will need to be seen.

Another possibility, other than an injury, would be something like Lyme disease which can cause pain and swelling in the joints.  I would rule out an injury first, since this is the most likely to be the cause, but if your x-rays and everything check out and there is no physical injury to the knee, you might want to rule out Lyme as well.

In the meantime, rest your knee as much as possible.  We usually suggest ice for the first 48-72 hours after an injury and then heat works better after that.  So use a heating pad for any pain or swelling.  Ibuprofen is the best medication for this type of injury since it is both an anti-inflammatory and a pain reliever.  You could also try an ace bandage or supportive knee brace to help reduce the swelling and to provide some stabalization for your knee.  Good luck.

Bridget