Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
triglycerides over 400

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

triglycerides over 400

Whatb should I do for self help when tryglicerides are over 400?  I am on a fructose intolerance diet and have lactose intolerance.; also am  pre-diabetic..
Tags: lactose
Hi and thanks for using the forum..

According to the American Heart Association, the best way to lower your triglyceride levels is through life style changes.  This means maintaining a healthy weight, exercising, eating a healthy diet, and getting regular exercise.  Sometimes, medication is needed in addition to lifestyle changes to help lower triglyceride levels.  Also, if you are a smoker, quit smoking.  The American Heart Association is a great source of information regarding this and they have a great user friendly web site that you may want to check out.  

People with elevated triglyceride levels tend to have high total cholesterol so it is important to work on lowering this number.  High cholesterol puts you at risk for heart disease and stroke.  Lowering your cholesterol can significantly reduce your chances of having a heart attack or stroke and often times lifestyle changes really do the trick with lowering cholesterol.  Good luck.
mine were over 600 last year i went on a med called trico wow it worked great in 6 weeks it was down to 137. went off of them now its back up to 295 dr put me on fish oil 1000 twice a day they say it works as good as the meds, plus you need to execrise/walk it brings it down to