Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
urethra pain/muscle spasms

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

urethra pain/muscle spasms

It started two months ago with UTI, family doc found blood in urine, gave me cipro, no help with burning in the urethra/muscle spasms, no urgency to urine, or up at night, just constant pain, tested again, no infection, so I have had 2 cystoscopes, 2nd Urologist found a tiny smooth stone the size of a pinhead and he couldn't grab it due to being so small and said it would pass within the week, he ordered CTScan, ultrasound, blood work, liver enzyme lab, microlab, and NOTHING, all negative.  I don't eat spicy food, no IC, and at my wits end with the stress of not knowing.  There are NO UROGYNOs in Houston.  What are the doctors missing?  I have had cipro, macrobid, doxycyline, and now on prevacid.. HELP !!! I am 62 and otherwise healthy...
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Have you been tested for intersitial cystitis?  It is a shame that there are no urogyno's in your area, but I think all you can do is try a different urologist or persist with the one you were already seeing.  good luck.

Bridget
Yes, both cystoscopes showed bladder lining clear and pink, no irritation, got the microlab back today and no cancer cells, so that was good, only thing abnormal was the WBC Esterase was abnormal and Urologist said back to stronger antibiotic, Doxcycycline, and Detrol La to relieve muscle spasm... does that sound like urologist is on the right track?  Thank you for your reply. Nancy2223