Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
vaginal dryness
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

vaginal dryness

I have been sexually active for 10 years and most of the time I am very dry. Now it seems to be constantly and its rather painful. I believe this is part of the reason why I've never had an orgasm. My question is I read that taking estrogen can help, but does it have to be taken vaginally or would pills be ok too? Or is there another suggestion?
Related Discussions
796253_tn?1344994932
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Low estrogen is one of the possible causes for vaginal dryness.  However, there are other causes such as medications, douching, autoimmune disorders, etc.  So, the first step for you would be to see your doctor and find out what is causing your vaginal dryness.  If low estrogen is the cause, then usually topical estrogen is an effective treatment.  Topical estrogen is available as a vaginal suppository, vaginal cream and even a vaginal ring.  If low estrogen is not the cause, then your ob/gyn can help identify what is causing your symptoms and recommend treatment.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
This Forum's Experts
5289563_tn?1366052034
Cathleen Zoretic, RNBlankBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979