Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
was i ever pregnant?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

was i ever pregnant?
January 2013 this year I was very sick. I had an ammonia and H1N1 , I was admitted into the hospital because I couldn't breath and my heart rate was extremely high. At 3am the doctor took a blood test trying to find a reason why my heart rate was so high. He came back with the result that I Was pregnant. I panicked and almost passed out. I asked him to take another blood test at 7 that morning my pregnancy test was negative. Could me being so sick raise my hgc level where it would come up as a positive test? Or did I have a misscarriage? Or was it the lab mistake. I'm 18 years old super healthy 120 pounds.... what happen?
Thanks for using the forum.

This is a situation I don't have a real yes or no answer for. Pregnancy tests, as you know, check for the presence of  hCG  which is sometimes called the pregnancy hormone. It is very rare to get a false positive, but it can happen. It could be a problem with the test, human error somewhere along the line (whether in the lab, or in labeling, or in entering the results). It is unlikely that you were actually pregnant at 3AM and your hCG levels dropped  in 4 hours.

I am glad that you are feeling better.

Cathy