Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Adderall Pharmacy Problem

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Adderall Pharmacy Problem

I'm 28 and attending a graduate program. During my undergrad studies, I was on adderall (adderrall) (60mg a day), then went off it once I left school.  I just moved to the Denver area for my program and realized that I should get back on adderall (adderrall) because it helps me in so many ways.  A month ago, I saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed me adderall (adderrall) (30) 10mg...filled at Walgreens.  I followed up with him because i had some questions about the adderall (adderrall)...I had few questions and i had the script but he really didnt seem to know much.  I decided to go see another psychiatrist a couple weeks later that specialized in ADHD.  I He wrote me a script for (30) 20mg of adderall (adderrall).  I filled it at Walgreens again.  I’ve seen this new psychiatrist 4 times now, just for psychotherapy, which he also does.   I saw him again today and we discussed my dosage of adderall (adderrall) and determined that for me 60mg a day is perfect....no more, no less, so he prescribed me a new script for adderall (adderrall) (90) 20mg.  My issue is, when I went to Walgreens to fill this new script, it must have raised a red flag because they said they couldn’t pill the prescription and had apparently had to talk to both doctors that prescribed me adderall (adderrall) before, even though I had already filled a script from the same psych(the new one im seeing) weeks prior.   Basically, 2 doctors have prescribed me adderall (adderrall) in the last month so to the pharmacist this must look like I’m doctor shopping, which I’m not. In my experience, when I blindly search for a psychiatrist or therapist, I will get along with some, but others not so good.  What’s the deal here with Walgreens:  I know there’s a drug monitoring program in place in nearly 30 states, and I’m not shopping for Adderall (adderrall).  Things are great in my life....aside from the ADHD. I know adderall (adderrall) is a schedule 2 drug, so I understand that aspect, but to have a pharmacist look at me like I’m a druggie is definitely something I’m not used to.  I'm very confused why this happened.
Age
:  
28
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
155
Current Medications
:  
adderall
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Medical Conditions
:  
add
If you submitted 3 prescriptions for 3 different strengths of Adderall (adderrall) from 2 different doctors in a month's time, that will raise suspicion in any pharmacy. I'm guessing each prescription was written for a month's supply, so it would appear you're getting too much medication and getting it too soon.

A simple call to your current psychiatrist to verify that your dose has been increased from 20 mg to 60 mg, and another call to your previous psychiatrist that you are no longer under his care should resolve the situation.