Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Adderall XR and drug screen/testing

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Adderall XR and drug screen/testing

I'm on prescription Adderall (adderrall) XR and the company I work for adheres to strict drug screening process. I need to determine if I should notify my employer of the prescription. Will my adderall (adderrall) XR show on a drug test if I am called to take one?
Sex
:  
Female
Most drug screening test screen for opiates, PCP, cocaine, marijuana, and amphetamines.  Adderall (adderrall) XR does contain amphetamines, so it is likely that you would test positive.  You should inform your employer that you are taking this medication.  
how long after taking adderrall xr will it continue to show up in drug screen. I am prescibed this medication but taking a physical for the marines, who do not allow the use of this. I need to not have it show up in my physical.
Do you really need the Adderall (adderrall)? Have you ever tried stopping it? This drug is normally given for ADD. Is that what you have?
Yes I have ADD. I struggled for years on my job becasue of the ADD. I finally gave in and went on the drug a few months ago when my perforamce at work was getting a lot of attention. It has helped me a great deal with doing my job and I'm feeling much better about my performance now. So I would say that "yes" I need to take the medication if I want to perform my job duties and if I ever want a chance at being promoted.

I have ADHD and I take medication.  Like you my perfomance at work suffered a lot and I've been fired from my last 4 jobs due to ADHD-related issues.  I also had struggles while I was in college and in my relationship with my spouse.  

Here's the interesting thing...I was actually in the military for 4 years and I did quite well.  That was before I knew I had ADHD.  All I knew was that I was a bit "energetic" and that I had the attention span of a fruit fly.  The military is extremely structured...good for us ADHD types.  You always know the rules...good or us ADHD types.  Lots of physical activity...good for us ADHD types.  I could go on.  I think there are probably many people with ADHD who go into the military who were like me and didn't even know they have ADHD.

My point is...IMHO, I find it harder to compensate for my ADHD in a professional job, married, etc than it was in the military.  I suspect that if you're off your medication for a bit, however long it takes to clear your system, you'll be successful in the Corp.

My 2 cents.

Adderall can stay in your system anywhere from 3-5 days.