Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Alcohol and Co amoxiclav

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Alcohol and Co amoxiclav

Unfortunately I have just go an infection and have been prescribed Co amoxiclav for 5 days and it is very bad timing as I'm going on holiday on monday and the holiday is basically a week long of going out and drinking in clubs so I need to know how much alcohol will be safe to drink, me and my friends a very well aware of units and how many we have had so it would be good to be told what a safe ABV would be.

Also how can I optimize the anti biotics affectivness until tuesday when drinking alcohol would begin. I know it would be better not to drink until the medication is over but this holiday is very much towards drinking as the main activity and the place I'm going doesn't provide many other entertainments other than clubbing.  

Thank you Adam.
Age
:  
19
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
160lbs
Current Medications
:  
Co amoxiclav
Medical Conditions
:  
Early infection of sinus.
Take the medication at the start of a meal to enhance absorption of the drug. Also, administration with food minimizes gastrointestinal irritation. Rare cases of liver dysfunction due to amoxicillin-clavulanic acid has been reported; occasionally these reactions have been severe.