Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Aleve and Tylenol

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Aleve and Tylenol
I have been taking either Aleve (2 every 12 hours) or Tylenol (1250mil every 8 hours) for my pain, but either one wears off before I can take another dose.  The pain is so bad, it's hard to wait for the next dose.  How much of each of these can I safely take and can I mix them--ay take Aleve and then take Tylenol after 6-8 hours and then Aleve after say 6 hours?  
Thanks so much
The maximum daily dose of Aleve is 1500mg per day and the maximum daily dose of Tylenol is 4000mg per day. You may alternate Aleve with Tylenol every 6-8 hours.