Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Alternative drug for Flagyl?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Alternative drug for Flagyl?
I noticed that drinking alcohol can cause problems and was wondering if there is another antibiotic that I could take in place of this - the holidays are coming up and I had plans that included cocktails?
Flagyl and alcohol should definitely not be mixed. Sometimes fluoroquinolone antibiotics such as Cipro are used for gastrointestinal bacterias. Please discuss any alternative treatment with your physician.
Alcohol can lower your general energy and delay your recovery so it is best to minimize drinking until you've finished the prescribed course of any antibiotic treatment. (Beyond that, chronic liver damage from excessive alcohol consumption can affect the metabolism and toxicity of antibiotics.)