Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Alternative to Pamelor
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Alternative to Pamelor

A neurologist has perscribed this drug to my 11 year old daughter, after she was on Trisprentec for a week and developed a migrane (migraine) headache she has now had for almost 4 weeks.    After reading the side effects I am wondering if there is anything else that would help her.  Her pediatrician perscribed (in order given) Ibprohen, Tylenol, Imitrex, Maltrax, Lortab, Phenegran, with Lortab, and Baby Asprin. Nothing worked.  Then she went for a week with no medication since nothing worked. Now, upon our first visit tothe neurologist, he wants her to take Pamelor, which after reading I have major concerns, considering she is a very intellligent child. We eat healthy orgainic food, 95% of the time. I don't want to impair her developing brain in anyway. First, what do you think about someone her age taking this? (He wants her to be on this 6 weeks) and taking 10 mg the first week and 20 mg the second week and there on I guess 20 mg.  I have spoken with a chemist professor @ a  local university, and from his info this seems quite the "sledgehammer" approach. Also, is the generic version any better? And last, what is an alternative drug she could use?  
Tags: pamelor
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
veramist
Drug Allergies
:  
no that are aware