Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Atenolol Increase Cause Weight Gain

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Atenolol Increase Cause Weight Gain
43 y/o, 6'0, 260 lbs. Very active- workout daily, 30-40 mins cardio/day.  Take Atenolol for Irregular Heart Rhythm and Anxiety Disorder.  Started out taking 25 mgs in 2001 and in Dec 2008 it was increased to 50 mgs due to a couple of mild episodes.  Since the increase in dosage, I have put on 15-20 lbs despite increasing my cardio workout.  Since I have a family history of Type II Diabetes, I am concerned with the extra weight and inability to take it off.  Should I speak to my physician about cutting back the dosage to 25 mg?  Can an increase in Atenolol cause weight gain of 20 lbs in a year?
Weight gain can occur as a side effect of some beta blockers, especially the older ones, such as atenolol. The average weight gain is between 2 and 4 pounds. It is important to note that weight gain may also be due to fluid retention, which may indicate worsening heart failure.  If you have sudden weight gain β€” a weight gain of 3 to 4 pounds in 24 to 48 hours β€” consult your doctor promptly.