Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Bystolic and alcohol
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bystolic and alcohol

I've been taking Bystolic 10 mg for a couple months now and it's done wonders for keeping my blood pressure low in conjunction with diet and exercise.

But about three months ago at a party, I realized I was getting a terrible stomach ache and had to lay down for a while. After about an hour the stomach ache went away. I realized later that what had upset my stomach was a glass of wine that I'd had just minutes before the aching started.

Since this incident, I've had two more occasions where almost immediately after imbibing even small amounts of alcohol, I get these awful stomach aches. The only thing I can attribute it to is the Bystolic. Before switching to this medication, I was taking a generic Atenolol and didn't have any problems like this. The stomach aches didn't start until after I'd started Bystolic.

What's most concerning about this, is that when I mentioned it to my doctor, he seemed very surprised that this happened. Even going on to suggest that a glass of wine could help with cholesterol management just minutes after telling him that drinking any alcohol causes this stomach pain (I'm thinking it may be time to get a new doctor?).

My question is, should I avoid alcohol altogether while taking Bystolic? What are the health concerns/problems that could arise from using alcohol while on Bystolic?

I'm not a heavy drinker by any means, but it will make me very sad if I'll never be able to have a cold beer on a hot afternoon again.
Sex
:  
Male
Current Medications
:  
Bystolic 10mg
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Medical Conditions
:  
High blood pressure