Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Can I take Ambien CR with Cymbalta?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Can I take Ambien CR with Cymbalta?

Hi,

I've been on Cymbalta for Major Depressive Disorder for about 4 months, but I'm not able to stay asleep at night.  I can get to sleep, but awaken at about 1AM and then cannot get back to sleep.  My psychiatrist mentioned that Ambien CR might help.  My questions are:  (1)  Can I take Ambien CR with Cymbalta?  (2)  Are there any side effects for Ambien CR?

Thanks for your help.

Michael
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
Cymbalta 60 mg/daily
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Medical Conditions
:  
Major Depressive Disorder
Related Discussions
616411_tn?1221767853
Dear Michael,
Yes you can take Ambien CR with Cymbalta. They are often prescribed together for that very reason. Insomnia actually occurs in about 8% of individuals taking Cymbalta.
AMBIEN CR is a treatment option you and your healthcare provider can consider along with lifestyle changes and can be taken for as long as your provider recommends. Until you know how AMBIEN CR will affect you, you shouldn't drive or operate machinery. Be sure you're able to devote 7 to 8 hours to sleep before being active again. Sleepwalking, and eating or driving while not fully awake, with amnesia for the event, have been reported. If you experience any of these behaviors contact your provider immediately. In rare cases, sleep medicines may cause allergic reactions such as swelling of your tongue or throat, shortness of breath or more severe results. If you have an allergic reaction while using AMBIEN CR, contact your doctor immediately. Side effects may include next-day drowsiness, dizziness, and headache. It's non-narcotic; however, like most sleep medicines, it has some risk of dependency. Don't take it with alcohol.
Best of luck to you,
Jennifer R RPH www.drugstore.com

Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...